Exciting New Walking Route to Celebrate Telford's 50th Anniversary
A group of local walkers came up with an inspirational idea to celebrate Telford’s 50th anniversary. A new circular walking route of 50 miles to join together all of Telford's many beautiful open green spaces. It links local communities from Lilleshall in the north to Coalbrookdale and Ironbridge in the south, Wellington in the west to Oakengates and Donnington in the east to the best of telford's wonderful green spaces. It is waymarked with a special design based on the Telford Anniversary gold and white logo and has its own website.
- starts at The Trail Information Board near the Visitor Centre in Telford Town Park (behind ruined chapel)
- has local starting points close to where most people live
- has a website with downloadable gpx files, route descriptions, bus links, pubs and cafes
- links with major paths north to south, east to west e.g. Silkin Way, Hutchison Way, Ironbridge Way, South Telford HeritageTrail, Ironbridge Way, Shropshire Way
- enables everyone to walk with confidence whether for leisure and pleasure, shopping, work, to the Town Centre and Town Park, local centres, nature reserves, country parks, museums and the World Heritage Site(s)
- is in short sections and stages so you can choose a walk for a morning, a whole day or a long weekend of walking in the wonderful Severn Gorge World Heritage Site
A consortium of Telford and East Shropshire Ramblers, Ironbridge Gorge Walking Festival, Ironbridge Walkers are Welcome, Telford Harriers, Long Distance Walkers Association, Walking for Health Telford & Wrekin and Wellington Walkers are Welcome planned, tested and waymarked this exciting new Telford T50 50 Trail.
Kate Asbrook, Chair and Vice President of The Ramblers launched the route with a mass walk and run along sections of the T50 50 Saturday 16 June.
We have been given a grant of £1700 by Telford & Wrekin Council and EnviroGrant, which is run by Veolia working in partnership with Telford & Wrekin Council, as part of the Pride in Our Community programme has given us another £650 towards the costs of development. Evidence shows that most people only begin to walk regularly when they can easily access known green spaces adjacent to where they live. The Telford 50 / 50 will leave a lasting legacy to benefit our community for many years to come.
We would hope that you will actively support this imaginative project and give us any help and advice necessary to achieve our aims. You can send any comments via the contacts tab on this website to our Chair.